Make your own free website on Tripod.com

    
NeverwinterConnections (http://forums.neverwinterconnections.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl)
Ongoing Campaigns & Projects >> Lazybones Campaigns >> Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
(Message started by: Lazybones on Sep 23rd, 2003, 8:43am)

Title: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Sep 23rd, 2003, 8:43am
This thread is reserved for in-character posting and general discussion of my "Shades of Moonshae" campaign that will be played on Monday evenings, starting on September 29, 2003.  

The first game is here: http://www.neverwinterconnections.com/games/index.cfm/fuseaction/displaygame/id/8489.htm

Currently I am accepting applications; the first round of invitations will be sent out this Friday.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Sep 26th, 2003, 8:47am
The boat rocks continuously as it has for the last several days.  The Sea of Storms has earned its name, but the sailors tell you that the swells are nothing compared to what one sees during the fierce winter season, when even veteran captains typically elect to sail to more placid southern waters.    
 
The hold of the Winddrake is small and cramped, and you are forced to share it with several other passengers, not to mention hundreds of barrels and crates of assorted cargo.  The passengers are a diverse lot, but share with you a common interest to leave the past behind, and seek out whatever new adventures may lie ahead.    
 
The Moonshae Isles await.  
 
* * * * *  
 
All right players, the thread is yours.  Share as much or as little about your new characters as you wish.  Good IC RP will be rewarded with experience points.  Also, you are welcome to make a visit to the Tavern thread, where characters from all my campaigns mingle and chat.  Please note your character name if posting IC, so we know who's who.  

* * * * *  

Note: rather than start up a new thread, you may also use this one for OOC questions, comments and discussions, just preface them as such.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 26th, 2003, 9:06am
Falin son of Doigan:

*Sitting in the corner of the hold is a dwarf.  Broad shouldered and deep chested, he has the look of a warrior.  Scars from weapons training can be seen on his forearms, and a few upon his visage (what can be seen apart from the large beard that covers most of his face).  He clutches a battle axe close to him, obviously uncomfortable, and can often be heard muttering in the language of his people.  What has driven this dwarf from his stronghold and sent him upon a voyage in the ocean is a mystery, but it must have been something of importance for you can not imagine he would have chosen to take such a voyage without some need driving him to do so*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 26th, 2003, 9:15am
Falin son of Doigan:

OOC Question for Lazybones;  Are we going to be dealing at all with subrace issues in game?  Just curious for character creation when the game starts.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Sep 26th, 2003, 9:22am

on 09/26/03 at 16:15:39, Greylorn wrote:
Falin son of Doigan:

OOC Question for Lazybones; Are we going to be dealing at all with subrace issues in game? Just curious for character creation when the game starts.

Subrace systems are not used.  Feel free to RP one if you wish (a gold dwarf can be done using the color palettes in character creation, for example), but there will be no game effect to your stats or abilities.  If you want to play a ghostwise halfling, sun elf, or other racial subtype, go ahead.  I am fairly knowledgeable about the Forgotten Realms and will be happy to reflect your choice in the game RP.  

Just no dual-scimitar wielding drow rangers, PLEASE!  In fact, probably a good idea to avoid dark-skinned, white-haired elves, or bald, gray-skinned dwarves altogether (the folk of the Moonshaes aren't going to be very welcoming to drow or duergar).

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by grobbendonk on Sep 26th, 2003, 10:51am
Silus:

The young man sits huddled against the bulkhead, frowning intently into the book gripped in his left hand, whilst the quill held in his right absent-mindedly plays and flicks at his ear.  His hair is plastered across his forehead and sticking out at almost supernatural angles.  Tiny remnants of dry vomit stick to his clothes unnoticed, almost hidden amongst the stains of long forgotten foods and other "material".

Suddenly, the quill erupts into life with furious scribbling and scorings on the page, accompanied by deep muttering, that any by passer could guess were the foulest of curses without needing to hear.  The writers gaze turns from the page in front of him to the ceiling of the hold, searching the grains and knots of wood vainly for inspiration.  The pen returns to its idle state, as the stare slowly mutates from a searching look back to the frown of before.

After several more minutes of inactivity frustration wins and the journal is closed and roughly shoved back into the bag from where it came.  Coming to his feet with an almost belligerent posture, the would-be author turns his attention to the other passengers arranged around the hold, studying each with a burning intensity.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 26th, 2003, 11:09am
Falin son of Doigan

*Glancing towards the scribe at the man's intense writing, followed by (mostly) silent outburst, the dwarf studied the odd person.  When the scribes gaze meets his own the dwarf simply holds his own gaze steady, offering neither greeting or acknowledgement of the person, rather seeming to merely study*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Sep 26th, 2003, 3:25pm
Isengrim:

The young man who has so far said virtually nothing to the other passengers looks up at the odd display of the writing man. He smiles curiously and looks away with a slight shrug, then gets up and paces about as he has done for the past few days. His pacing is not nervous or impatient, but it seems to serve little purpose. Perhaps he simply feels the need to move about.

Unlike those of most of the passengers, his strides seem sure of their footing even as the ship rocks to and fro. It is clear he has been to sea more than once - he has several times offered politely to assist the crew in various tasks about the ship during the worst of the weather, and has occasionally been allowed to lend a hand. With some brief instruction he appears to have made himself useful when the need arises, and most of the crew return his silent nods and smiles.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Sep 26th, 2003, 10:30pm
Tagnar Un'gno

Huddled up just opposite Silus, sits another dwarf. His arms folded and head down, he appears to be asleep. A blue metal flask dangles loosely in his left hand, as if just enough grip to not loose track of it. His worn leather armor has not been treated in weeks and the metal buckling is well tarnished. Mud stains rise up past his knees and the dirt has carried well onto his hands and arms. His face is nearly hidden behind a dark brown beard and his hair has been pulled to the back. Over the left shoulder is a thick, tightly woven braid, nearly a foot long. It has been tied at 10 even intervals with silky red cloth, each one dirtier than the first. This seems to be the only groomed part on his body.

As the ship sways back, he suddenly perks up, as if woken by a dream. He slowly glances through the hold, his eyes squinting taking notice of each passenger. He readjusts himself and lets out a deep but quiet belch and lifts the flask back to his lips. After a slow but hearty chug, he moves himself into the previous position and tilts his head back down, eyes shutting almost immediately.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 27th, 2003, 7:04am
Falin son of Doigan

*Looking over at his fellow dwarf a bit of contempt slips past his stoic visage.  This unkempt armor, the stains of the road upon the dwarf, obviously Falin does not approve, but another rock of the ship and he closes his eyes dismissing the scene of the other dwarf.  Another short comment is made in the tongue of his people and a deep sigh comes from him*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Sep 27th, 2003, 10:07am
* Michael von Neitzel *

* Michael's Journal *

The parting from his family had not gone well. His brother, still with his greatsword jutting above his shoulders, sneered at him, clearly thinking he was running away from his responsibilities. His father tried to convince him that he was being foolish, that the Moonshaes were a god-forsaken set of windswept islands with little of value to be found there. The von Neitzel's had a long history as a minor trading house in Amn, and had always had more success on the land routes, dangerous as they could be. As usual, his mother said little and was silent. When his father went from calmly explaining where he was going wrong to yelling that Michael was throwing his future away, Michael had enough. He kissed his mother goodbye, grabbed his small pack, and left for the docks of Athkatla. As he shouldered the pack, he deftly checked to see that his books were still inside.

Michael moved unobtrusively through the city, drawing little attention from the crowd in the streets. The little ship had not looked especially luxurious, but seemed seaworthy enough, and the captain wasn't known as especially dishonest. As Michael reached the docks, he said hello to the purser and some of the crew that were loading supplies, and boarded the ship. Michael hoped for the best.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 27th, 2003, 12:18pm
Falin son of Doigan:

*Gathering himself, the dwarf finally stands and makes his way (a hand along a bulkhead to steady himself against the constantly shifting deck) across the hold to the other dwarf*

"Greetin's to ye Cousin, I'd not ha been expectin ta be seein one o me kin here.  I be Falin at yer service."

*He bows, but the shifting deck causes him to stumble and he barely catches himself before stumbling to the deck*

"Bah, who but Men would ha though to travel upon the water!"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Sep 27th, 2003, 1:17pm
Tagnar Un'gno

Peering up from his slumber Tagnar replies with quick nod and an unnatural slur:

"Well met coushin. I be Tagnar Un'gno of the Durunder Clan."

with a pause he takes another swig of the flask. His voice is low and quiet, as if trying not to attract attention.

"Have a seat. Don't want ya hurtin yoruself." He adjusts making room for his new companion.

"Aye, the sea wasn't meant for the likes of us. But atter a few days, I get ussed to it. Traveling will bring ya many places. This time, The Moonshae for the firsht time. How about ye, haff you traveled musch?"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 27th, 2003, 3:47pm
*Takes Tagnar's offer of a seat, almost dropping to the floor*

"Nay, this be me first time ta be travellin outside o' Balalode, me home stronghold.  Already I be lookin forward ta getting back ta me hearth.  What o' yerself?  Ye be havin the look o' someone who ha spent a good bit o' time on the road."

*Tries hard to keep the disapproval of Tagnar's dirty appearance out of his voice.*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Sep 27th, 2003, 5:25pm
Michael von Neitzel:

Michael looked around the dimly lit hold.  There were two dwarves chatting, one neat, the other ill-kempt.  Both seemed ill at ease.  Dwarves were often touchy; best be careful with those two.

There was a man scribbling madly into a journal, muttering to himself.  He looked half-crazed, best stay clear of that one.

Another human passanger, a quiet one, was helping some of the crewman in some task involving rigging.  Michael studied him for a moment.  Making a decision,  Michael got up, and walked over to where the man the crew called "Isengrim" was.  He looked him in the eye,  held out his hand, and said "Good day, friend.  My name is Michael, and I am curious, what is bringing you to the Moonshaes?"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Kal on Sep 27th, 2003, 7:17pm
Calek:

A tall, wiry human stands in one corner of the hold; swaying with the motion of the ship.  Occasionally he will pass a tidbit of food to the hawk perched on his shoulder and murmur a few words though it is uncertain if he ever recieves a response.  Battered but well kept hides cover his form and behind him, tied to a bracket on the wall, stands a tall spear.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Sep 27th, 2003, 9:42pm

on 09/28/03 at 00:25:36, chiz wrote:
Michael von Neitzel:

Michael looked around the dimly lit hold. There were two dwarves chatting, one neat, the other ill-kempt. Both seemed ill at ease. Dwarves were often touchy; best be careful with those two.

There was a man scribbling madly into a journal, muttering to himself. He looked half-crazed, best stay clear of that one.

Another human passanger, a quiet one, was helping some of the crewman in some task involving rigging. Michael studied him for a moment. Making a decision, Michael got up, and walked over to where the man the crew called "Isengrim" was. He looked him in the eye, held out his hand, and said "Good day, friend. My name is Michael, and I am curious, what is bringing you to the Moonshaes?"


Isengrim, his attention still partly upon the rope in his hand, smiles back and looses one hand from the rope long enough to take that of Michael's.

"I'm Isengrim. I may have some business on the island; they say some of the Northlanders have their home there. If that be true, then I might need to have a word with some of them." He smiles again, both hands on the rope now, and he nods to the sailor calling out to him to hoist. He quickly helps to run up the sail and ties it off. After the sailor nods his thanks, Isengrim turns back, a bit more relaxed now.

"The weather seems to be quieting down a bit, so we'll be getting underway again. They said we're not far now, if the navigator has his bearings. So what do you do, if I may ask?"

The sailor seems to need him no more, so he picks up his unstrung longbow. It appears to be his sole possession - he has no quiver or knife even - and his simple clothes and boots are well worn. No purse hangs from his faded leather belt, and he has no sack or pack. His manner and speech are not those of a noble, though he speaks well - if quietly - and with apparent confidence.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Sep 28th, 2003, 12:41pm
Michael von Neitzel:

"Isengrim, good to meet you. I am a trader from Amn, and also a seeker of knowledge.  I wish to spend a few weeks in the Moonshaes, to see if there is aught there that could be sold in Amn.  I'm afraid I don't know much of the Northlanders, or the Ffolk.  I was hoping to find some other travellers on this ship, who might be willing to share their knowledge of these islands."   Michael eyes Isengrim's clean but plain appearance, and apparent lack of gear.  "If you wish, I'd be happy to share some of the bread and fruit I brought with me, if you'd be willing to tell me what you know of the Northlanders."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Sep 28th, 2003, 1:06pm
Replies to Falin

"Aye." Pauses fore a few seconds to ponder. "I have seen many a plashes. Remberrerd few. My lot here has been a tough one, but I manashge to get by."

Noticing the looks from other passengers and the ones of Falin he replies "Not ushed to seeing one so down, eh?" Gives a short chuckle. His voice turns serious and his slur improves as he begins again. "I haven't had a place to sleep in weeks. My pockets are bare and so is me stomach. Thats why I have taken this voyage. I needed to get away from the mainland. Word has it that the place this ship heads has work and good pay as well. I travel to where the work is and I have been told that the work here be good." Chuckles again, "Looking back...thats how most of me travels have gone. Just this is the first one across the sea."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Sep 28th, 2003, 1:09pm

on 09/28/03 at 19:41:45, chiz wrote:
Michael von Neitzel:

"Isengrim, good to meet you. I am a trader from Amn, and also a seeker of knowledge. I wish to spend a few weeks in the Moonshaes, to see if there is aught there that could be sold in Amn. I'm afraid I don't know much of the Northlanders, or the Ffolk. I was hoping to find some other travellers on this ship, who might be willing to share their knowledge of these islands." Michael eyes Isengrim's clean but plain appearance, and apparent lack of gear. "If you wish, I'd be happy to share some of the bread and fruit I brought with me, if you'd be willing to tell me what you know of the Northlanders."


Isengrim laughs lightly. "I would gladly share your food, for I've not eaten now for four days. But I fear I know little of these Northmen apart from what I myself only just discovered. I was told by some fishers of their habit of raiding and pillaging up and down the coast when the mood or need takes them. Their ships were sighted some time ago near where I once lived - or so the fishers said - so it would seem they are the ones I must speak with.

"Who are these Ffolk you speak of, and was that place our ship left from the place you call 'Amn'? A great place it seemed, a home to many men. I did not know such places had names, like men have names. My home we simply called 'home.' Perhaps when a place is that great a name must be given to it, for it did seem to have a life of its own, and so must be named."

He nods to himself, satisfied with his reasoning.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 28th, 2003, 4:02pm
Falin son of Doigan:

*Frowns a bit at Tagnar's comments*

"Did yer clan not have work for ye?  If ye be travellin' lookin fer somethin ta be doin I would ha thought that ye'd be headed back ta yer Stronghold and yer Hearth.

Meself, I'd much rather be sittin at me Hearth then takin this blasted journey, but it be that one o' me Clan's traders ha' come this way an be sendin no word back for some time so I be sent ta be findin him.  Or findin what ha happened to him."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Sep 28th, 2003, 7:01pm
Michael von Neitzel:

Michael reaches into his pack and pulls out a loaf of good Amnian bread, breaking it in half. He hands Isengrim one piece, along with an apple. "Aye, that was Athkatla, in Amn, where we sailed from. The Ffolk are the other residents of the islands we sail to, along with the Northmen. As to these Northlanders, I have heard that many of them are pirates and raiders. But I wouldn't mind seeing for myself. If you'll be looking for these Northmen when the Winddrake makes landfall, I'd like to come along with you, if you don't object."

He starts chewing on the other piece of bread and looks around the hold, then speaks without waiting for an answer from Isengrim. "You know anything about the other passangers? As far as I can tell, we've got two dwarves and a bunch of men, including the quiet man with the hawk, and the unkempt-looking fellow who talks to himself. Have you spoken with any of them?"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Sep 28th, 2003, 10:56pm
Tagnar has a look of despair in his face. His eyes start to fade from object to space. His breathing stops momentarily. He sighs, turns head away from Falin glancing at the bread the two men are sharing.
"Many years have passed since....I have seen me clan." Turns head back to Falin, eyes focused, "I cannot see them".

His head drops and he plays with the flask in hand swirling the remaining liquid.

Obviously changing the subject "What of ye clan mate? How long has he been missin again?"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by grobbendonk on Sep 28th, 2003, 11:30pm
As Silus's blood pressure retreats from boiling point, his composure returns.  Realizing that his stance may be misinterpreted, he shifts his feet and lowers his eyes.  His initial impression of his fellow passengers reveals a mixed group. He studies the two dwarves opposite, deep in conversation, one who had held his gaze for a while, the other in a very unkempt state. Silus knows little of dwarves but he's sure it is not normal for dwarves to care so little for their appearance.   Another tale to be told, and Silus smiles at the thought.

His attention is drawn to the only other pair talking in the hold.  The two humans break bread together, and Silus's stomach growls involuntarily.  The seasickness removed what little food he had eaten and now he needs more.  He opens his bag and searches for a last bit of bread in vain.  He eyes the food the others are eating with a pang of longing, until the bow of the ship hits the next swell, replacing hunger with a brief wave of nausea.  

The last passenger Silus notices piques his interest the most.  The man with the bird, the menacing spear behind, the furs of unknown beasts, this may be what Silus has been searching for so long.  Subconsciously Silus tries to smooth out his appearance as he cautiously approaches the man.  

"Greetings, errr, ummm friend, my name is Silus.   Errrm, if I may be so bold, would you have some food to spare?  This journey is longer than I had anticipated and my supplies have run out.  Once we hit shore I will gladly repay you."

As Silus reaches out his hand to shake, he inwardly groans at the thought of food.  Unused to introducing himself to potentially hostile strangers, his mind has drawn a blank.  Even in conversation his inspiration was faltering.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 29th, 2003, 6:15am
Falin son of Doigan:

*Frowns at the sadness of the other dwarf, wondering at what happened that Tagnar could not return to his clan.  Deciding not to press for now, he allowed his companion to change the course of the conversation*

"Two passings of winter it ha been since he be leavin the Stronghold.  We ha word o' his travels last year durin the spring rise o the river, but ha not heard o' him since.  When last we be hearin word, he were buyin a ride ta the Isle's."

*Here he glances around the hold and snorts*

"Course it may be that he ha just got his sense back and left for another place without sufferin through this."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Sep 29th, 2003, 6:16am

on 09/29/03 at 02:01:46, chiz wrote:
Michael von Neitzel:

Michael reaches into his pack and pulls out a loaf of good Amnian bread, breaking it in half. He hands Isengrim one piece, along with an apple. "Aye, that was Athkatla, in Amn, where we sailed from. The Ffolk are the other residents of the islands we sail to, along with the Northmen. As to these Northlanders, I have heard that many of them are pirates and raiders. But I wouldn't mind seeing for myself. If you'll be looking for these Northmen when the Winddrake makes landfall, I'd like to come along with you, if you don't object."

He starts chewing on the other piece of bread and looks around the hold, then speaks without waiting for an answer from Isengrim. "You know anything about the other passangers? As far as I can tell, we've got two dwarves and a bunch of men, including the quiet man with the hawk, and the unkempt-looking fellow who talks to himself. Have you spoken with any of them?"


Isengrim accepts the piece of bread, automatically touching his chest and forehead with the other hand as he does. "You have my thanks, Michael. Perhaps once we reach land and can find a good forest I will repay you with a fine dinner myself. My mother taught me well how to prepare the flesh I bring in."

He eyes the bread with satisfaction, and is about to take a bite when he remembers his manners and waits.

"I welcome any who wish to travel with me. My father taught me never to trust any man I had not gone been to hell and back with, but now that he is gone I prefer my mother's advice. I should tell you though, that once I meet these Northlanders the conversation may turn sour, though it is my hope that this will not be the case. I wish ill upon no man.

"I have not spoken with the others, though I heard one of the shorter men say he is looking for someone - a traitor it sounded like. My father said the world is full of these 'traitors', so I expect he'll have a hard time singling one out from the rest."

After chewing on his bread a minute, Isengrim nods at the man with the hawk. "A beautiful animal," he observes, loud enough for the man to hear. "Hawks are noble animals, and fine hunters. I envy their skill."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Sep 29th, 2003, 6:25am

on 09/29/03 at 06:30:44, grobbendonk wrote:
As Silus's blood pressure retreats from boiling point, his composure returns. Realizing that his stance may be misinterpreted, he shifts his feet and lowers his eyes. His initial impression of his fellow passengers reveals a mixed group. He studies the two dwarves opposite, deep in conversation, one who had held his gaze for a while, the other in a very unkempt state. Silus knows little of dwarves but he's sure it is not normal for dwarves to care so little for their appearance. Another tale to be told, and Silus smiles at the thought.

His attention is drawn to the only other pair talking in the hold. The two humans break bread together, and Silus's stomach growls involuntarily. The seasickness removed what little food he had eaten and now he needs more. He opens his bag and searches for a last bit of bread in vain. He eyes the food the others are eating with a pang of longing, until the bow of the ship hits the next swell, replacing hunger with a brief wave of nausea.

The last passenger Silus notices piques his interest the most. The man with the bird, the menacing spear behind, the furs of unknown beasts, this may be what Silus has been searching for so long. Subconsciously Silus tries to smooth out his appearance as he cautiously approaches the man.

"Greetings, errr, ummm friend, my name is Silus. Errrm, if I may be so bold, would you have some food to spare? This journey is longer than I had anticipated and my supplies have run out. Once we hit shore I will gladly repay you."

As Silus reaches out his hand to shake, he inwardly groans at the thought of food. Unused to introducing himself to potentially hostile strangers, his mind has drawn a blank. Even in conversation his inspiration was faltering.


Isengrim speaks up when he sees this man asking for bread.

"Come, friend, and take from mine. Would be most ungrateful of me not to share, since it is on the generosity of another that I myself eat."

He breaks his own piece in half and holds it out in offering.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Kal on Sep 29th, 2003, 6:54am
Calek warily eyes the man walking towards him trying, vainly to make his wild hair and vomit stained attire presentable.
"Food?", Calek says quietly,  "Aye, I've some to spare.  Easily enough replaced that it is unneccessary for you to seek me out on shore."  
Calek reaches into his pack, keeping his eyes on the unkempt man all the while, and with deft fingers pulls out a small pouch.  "Venison," he says as he hands it over.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Kal on Sep 29th, 2003, 6:57am

Quote:
After chewing on his bread a minute, Isengrim nods at the man with the hawk. "A beautiful animal," he observes, loud enough for the man to hear. "Hawks are noble animals, and fine hunters. I envy their skill."


Calek repeats the man's words to his hawk, which lets out a small cry in response.  "Harin would agree with you, friend." He replies to Isengrim.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 29th, 2003, 7:19am
Falin son of Doigan:

*Glances over at the gather group of Men, he shakes his head and mutters*

"Gah, who can be thinkin o' eatin when the floor canna even be still long enough to swallow yer food."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Sep 29th, 2003, 9:08am

on 09/29/03 at 13:57:42, Kal wrote:
Calek repeats the man's words to his hawk, which lets out a small cry in response. "Harin would agree with you, friend." He replies to Isengrim.


Isengrim seems surprised at this, and he looks at Calek and the hawk curiosuly. Then his face breaks into a grin and he laughs.

"For a moment I thought you were serious! Still, I'm sure he would agree if he could."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Sep 29th, 2003, 9:14am

on 09/29/03 at 14:19:39, Greylorn wrote:
Falin son of Doigan:

*Glances over at the gather group of Men, he shakes his head and mutters*

"Gah, who can be thinkin o' eatin when the floor canna even be still long enough to swallow yer food."


Isengrim turns at the sound of muttering.

"Don't worry, we'll soon have firm footing beneath us. I, too, prefer the land, but the sea is not so terrible a place to be once you grow accustomed to it."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 29th, 2003, 9:27am

on 09/29/03 at 16:14:02, Miserere wrote:
Isengrim turns at the sound of muttering.

"Don't worry, we'll soon have firm footing beneath us. I, too, prefer the land, but the sea is not so terrible a place to be once you grow accustomed to it."


Falin son of Doigan:

*The dwarf looks up at the Human who speaks, his deep frown obviously not agreeing with the man's statements*

"Ye think not?  Why don't ye step out and take a walk about on the hills o' this 'land' then tell me how joyful a place this be ta be takin a stroll."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Sep 29th, 2003, 9:45am
Michael von Neitzel:

Michael looks around at the men and dwarves in the hold, as several conversations break out.  He speaks up in a loud voice, pitched for all the passengers to hear.  "Fellow passengers, why don't we all gather around for a bit?  I'd like to learn some more of our destination, and am willing to share the little I know.  And another loaf of bread as well, for those who wish....."  He waves to the two dwarves, to come over and join the four humans.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Sep 29th, 2003, 9:46am

on 09/29/03 at 16:27:41, Greylorn wrote:
Falin son of Doigan:

*The dwarf looks up at the Human who speaks, his deep frown obviously not agreeing with the man's statements*

"Ye think not? Why don't ye step out and take a walk about on the hills o' this 'land' then tell me how joyful a place this be ta be takin a stroll."


Isengrim laughs. "I did not mean to suggest that I could walk upon the waves. I was merely agreeing that the land is a better place for a man's foot, but that a man can also grow accustomed to the swelling of the sea, in time. My father always said a man can learn to live with anything, if he has to, no matter how unpleasant. Though I daresay he found the sea pleasant enough in itself."

Isengrim takes another mouthful of bread, clearly enjoying the taste. He turns back to Michael a moment.

"This thing you call bread is actually quite good. I must confess I had my doubts at first sight of it. But is sits well in the stomach and is pleasing to the tongue. Where does it grow, for I've not seen its like in the forest?"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 29th, 2003, 12:08pm

on 09/29/03 at 16:45:34, chiz wrote:
Michael von Neitzel:

Michael looks around at the men and dwarves in the hold, as several conversations break out. He speaks up in a loud voice, pitched for all the passengers to hear. "Fellow passengers, why don't we all gather around for a bit? I'd like to learn some more of our destination, and am willing to share the little I know. And another loaf of bread as well, for those who wish....." He waves to the two dwarves, to come over and join the four humans.


Falin son of Doigan:

*Glances to Tagnar and slowly stands once again, catching himself upon the bulkhead of the hold as the ship shifts again and slowly makes his way across the deck, using his axe to help him maintain his balance, however ungainly it might appear.  His dark eyes burn with a fire that just dares anyone to make a jest about his progress towards the humans gathered together*

"Falin, son o Doigan, o the Stronghold o Balalode, an Priest o Clanngidan Silverbeard at yer service."

*He bows, and the shift of the ship catches him off guard sending him stumbling onto the deck to his hands and knees, which spurs a rather furious dwarven curse as his axe falls to the deck by his side*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Sep 29th, 2003, 1:00pm

on 09/29/03 at 19:08:03, Greylorn wrote:
Falin son of Doigan:

*Glances to Tagnar and slowly stands once again, catching himself upon the bulkhead of the hold as the ship shifts again and slowly makes his way across the deck, using his axe to help him maintain his balance, however ungainly it might appear. His dark eyes burn with a fire that just dares anyone to make a jest about his progress towards the humans gathered together*

"Falin, son o Doigan, o the Stronghold o Balalode, an Priest o Clanngidan Silverbeard at yer service."

*He bows, and the shift of the ship catches him off guard sending him stumbling onto the deck to his hands and knees, which spurs a rather furious dwarven curse as his axe falls to the deck by his side*


Isengrim quickly reaches out a hand.

"Isengrim, at yours. I am the son of Ash, though I doubt you know him."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 29th, 2003, 1:05pm

on 09/29/03 at 20:00:35, Miserere wrote:
Isengrim quickly reaches out a hand.

"Isengrim, at yours. I am the son of Ash, though I doubt you know him."


*Hesitates a moment then takes the offered hand and rises, taking his axe back up and straightening out his beard*

"Me thanks Isengrim son of Ash."

*looks at the Human with a bit of a thoughtful scowl*

"These Islands we be headin ta, they dinna float upon the water like this *searches for the word* ship?"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Sep 29th, 2003, 1:07pm
ooc

Excellent IC posts... it bodes well for the campaign.

I will be sending a PM to all of you with the IP/password, and some other information about the game, as soon as I get home from work this evening.

Experience from combat will be light to moderate; additional experience will be awarded for good RP, creative use of class abilities, and for completion of quests.  Everyone who has taken the time to post here will get a starting bonus of 100xp.  

ic

The travelers crowded into the tight confines of the hold hear cries from the sailors on the ship's deck just above, and a sudden bustle of activity follows.  The shouts do not seem to be cries of alarm, but rather are expectant, as though something long awaited had just been discovered.

It seems that your arrival at your destination is near.  Isle Kinnis, one of the smaller outcroppings of the Moonshae chain, awaits.  From what little you've heard, the island only supports one small town, little more than an oversized village, really: Kinnisfrae.  

You will be disembarking at the docks of Kinnisfrae shortly; and from there... who knows.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 29th, 2003, 1:13pm
*Looks up at the shouts and cries from the crew above*

"Cor, this be it."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Sep 29th, 2003, 1:24pm
*grunts as he pulls himself up off the deck*

"Its about time!" he bellows out with a hint of laughter and a first time grin since boarding the ship.

*He heads to the rest of the group slowly as if still waking up*

"I be Tagnar Un'gno...of the Durunder Clan...of the Silver Marches. I too be at your servish."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Sep 29th, 2003, 2:29pm

on 09/29/03 at 20:05:56, Greylorn wrote:
*Hesitates a moment then takes the offered hand and rises, taking his axe back up and straightening out his beard*

"Me thanks Isengrim son of Ash."

*looks at the Human with a bit of a thoughtful scowl*

"These Islands we be headin ta, they dinna float upon the water like this *searches for the word* ship?"


Isengrim's smile fades suddenly as he considers Falin's question.

"In truth, I suppose I never considered that. Let us hope the ground upon islands is every bit as firm as that on land!"

He looks up at the sound of shouting, listening intently, one hand reaching for the bow against the hull as his body tenses. Then his body relaxes.

"Someone said land - I expect that means we are about to put in." The smile returns now. "For a moment I wondered if I might be having words with Northmen earlier than expected!"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Sep 29th, 2003, 2:31pm

on 09/29/03 at 20:24:45, Tagnar wrote:
*grunts as he pulls himself up off the deck*

"Its about time!" he bellows out with a hint of laughter and a first time grin since boarding the ship.

*He heads to the rest of the group slowly as if still waking up*

"I be Tagnar Un'gno...of the Durunder Clan...of the Silver Marches. I too be at your servish."


"Isengrim at yours. Er, 'Isengrim, son of Ash', as it would seem to be more proper."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by grobbendonk on Sep 29th, 2003, 3:46pm
Nervously biting his lip and fidgeting with the bag at his side, Silus pipes up to the others.

"Ermm, Landfall, excellent.  This journey was far too long and far too confined for my liking.  Some say the sea has an almost magical way to motivate the mind, but I found it only motivated my stomach.  I'll sing no odes to the ocean."

"I know of nothing of our destination, save it is far and away from where we departed, and that is all the knowledge I need at this time. But fellow," Silus looks Michael in the eye, "I'm willing to learn more if you have yarns to tell.  Ack forgive my manners all of you, my name is Silus".  Wary of the stumble that Falin took, Silus acknowledges the other passengers with only a cursory nod, not the normal bow he would take.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Primarch on Sep 29th, 2003, 6:30pm
Malius Payne

"Land ho!!"

This shout brings Malius out of his thoughts. Although some of these peope were amusing to watch, he grew tired of watching them.

His thoughts of the not so distant past creeped back into his mind. But enought of this, a new place, a new beginning....hopfully.

As the boat approaches land, Malius steps from the shadows, startling a few, others to uncomfortable in their own misery to notice.

Without looking around, he made for the deck all the while thinking..... A new beginning......

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Sep 29th, 2003, 6:52pm
Michael nods hello to Silus, Falin and Tagnar, smiling at Tagnar's unsteady progress and Isengrim's question.    As the group slowly start moving up the steps to the deck, Michael steps next to Silus.  "I am here looking for some goods for trade, or perhaps some other ways to make some coin.  What brings you to Kinnis, Sir Silus?"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Sep 29th, 2003, 9:18pm
ooc

Great game, all!  I think this will be an excellent campaign group.

ic

The weary and battered group returns to The Traveler's Welcome.  There, after a quick bath--mandated by Moira's discerning nose--the group gathers for rest and food in the common room.  Moira tells you that the cleric had gone out into the town earlier, but he generally returns before the night draws too deep.  With luck, you hope that he will be able to treat the nasty bites suffered by some of you in the sewers under Kinnisfrae.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 30th, 2003, 6:57am
Falin son of Doigan:

*Sitting in the Inn, with a foamy mug of ale before him, Falin begins to relax some.  That bite from the rat had given him some stiffness, not nearly as bad as some of his companions suffered, but then his kind were known for their hearty constitutions.  Certain that a good nights sleep would be all he would need he was not as concerned about the priests return as much for him as for the others.  Taking a sip of ale he shifts a bit in his chair and looks to his companions*

"Ye all did well, a fine showin we made, even were it against not but a bunch o overfed rodents.  Still, it were too bad we could na save the missin Human.  I just be hopin that we ha taken care o the problem w' the death o that rat, but I be fearin we will be hearin from the town Elders afore long."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Sep 30th, 2003, 7:42am
Michael von Neitzel:

While Falin speaks, Michael sits at the table in the common room, counting out gold from his purse, and dividing it into equal-size piles. After he finishes, he looks up at the others. "It will be about 35 gold apiece. At least we won't starve."

He carefully shoves a pile over to each of his new comrades. "Though I have a feeling we can make much more coin than this. Working for the mayor could be even more rewarding than trading scrimshaw."

He looks over at Falin. "You fought well yourself, Falin.   I wonder if the Mayor will want us to head back down and find out what the wisp-like creature is. Maybe it has something to do with the dead townsman."



Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Sep 30th, 2003, 8:01am
"Aye! That'd be my guessin as well. The city counsul wouldn be wantin the likes of that thing down there much longer. We be hearin from them...."

Sitting at the table across from Michael, Tagnar carefully tends to the wounds on his arm. The large rat had leaped up and gotten though his armor and left a good size gash. Removing the leather sleeve gingerly, you notice the infection has quickly started to spread.

"Haha! a nasty bite tha twas. We be needin that cleric soon an n ale even sooner!"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 30th, 2003, 8:18am
*Takes his share of the gold and sips at his ale, nodding to Tagnar's comment*

"Aye, I've not the power ta be aiden ye with yer wound I'm afraid."

*Looks around the Inn thoughtfully*

"If word o our deed were ta spread, mayhaps we could find other that be willin ta hire our services.  Replacin me axe and buying this shield *hefts his new shield* ha drained me travellin money."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Kal on Sep 30th, 2003, 8:23am

Quote:
He looks over at Falin.  "You fought well yourself, Falin.   I wonder if the Mayor will want us to head back down and find out what the wisp-like creature is.  Maybe it has something to do with the dead townsman."


Calek looks up from his ale, "I've been thinking about that, friends.  I know very little about them, though more than most here it seems, perhaps we should ask some questions about them.  The sage might have information, as wood the Moonshae druids if it is a natural creature."
Calek looks around briefly to see who is in earshot, "Besides," he continues, "we might be able to get the mayor to pay us to find information and we could use the money to continue Isengrim's education in ale and women of negotiable virtue." *chuckles*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 30th, 2003, 8:40am
Falin son of Doigan:

*Nods at Calek's suggestion*

"Aye, that be a good idea.  If we can be learnin anythin about what we face we'll be better off when we do ha ta face it."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Kal on Sep 30th, 2003, 11:34am
Calek:

*Frowns* "Aye, learning is good, but to tell the truth I'm more interested in learning about the wee beastie we fought than the wisp.  It was not a natural creature, though I fear it might have been once."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Sep 30th, 2003, 11:43am
OOC Question for Lazybones since it may come up during the next session; how do you want us to handle leveling up?  Do we do it during the adventure or should we wait until we get back to the Inn or camp?

BIC

Falin son of Doigan:

"Phaw!  Dabblin by wizards what should know better!  Ye might be askin them Gnomes if they be knowin o any wizards what would do such a thing."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Sep 30th, 2003, 1:26pm

on 09/30/03 at 18:43:37, Greylorn wrote:
OOC Question for Lazybones since it may come up during the next session; how do you want us to handle leveling up? Do we do it during the adventure or should we wait until we get back to the Inn or camp?

The timing is up to you; there is no training requirement or other somesuch.  I recommend that you wait until a lull in the action so that you do not interrupt the flow of play while the others wait for you to finish.  Typically a short RP description is sufficient to explain to the other players that you've leveled and need a few minutes to conduct the process.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Sep 30th, 2003, 7:09pm
Michael von Neitzel:

"Calek, Falin, you know, that isn't a bad idea. I wonder if the gnome wizard, Karellos, would know anything about this wisp beasty. It might be worth talking to him."

Michael looks around for Melhindre, who is just bringing some more ale for Tagnar. "Hey there Mel, you know when Karellos will be back here?"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Oct 1st, 2003, 9:50am

on 09/30/03 at 15:23:16, Kal wrote:
Calek looks around briefly to see who is in earshot, "Besides," he continues, "we might be able to get the mayor to pay us to find information and we could use the money to continue Isengrim's education in ale and women of negotiable virtue." *chuckles*


Isengrim looks up from his pile of gold at the mention of his name. He smiles uncertainly at the chuckle, having missed most of what was said.

"Excuse me, milady," he says politely as the waitress passes by. "Might I have an ale like these gentlemen?" He then goes back to looking at the coins, examining them in mintute detail with a curious eye.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Oct 1st, 2003, 10:06am
Melhindre the waitress brings you all a round of your selected drinks.  You notice that her gaze, as well, lingers on the piled coins... probably a considerable sum for one of her position.  

"The gnome?  I haven't seen him, sir, not since this morning when you were all last here.  Now that he has his candles, I don't imagine we'll see him back down here for a while, he takes most of his meals up in his room, and doesn't drink at all, if you can believe that!"  

Her gaze travels back to the gold that glimmers in the lamplight.  "Still, I suppose I could go ask him to come down, if you'd like to speak to him."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 1st, 2003, 12:12pm
Falin son of Doigan:

"Aye lass, ye can call him down here."

*Puts an extra coin in with the payment for the ale*

"If it be not too much trouble for ye."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Oct 3rd, 2003, 9:09am
Michael von Chisholm:

Watching Falin slip Mel an extra coin, Michael smiled.  As the conversation had waned somewhat, he decided he might as well make some use of the time.  He pulled a small book with a red leather cover out of his pack and opened it.  Arcane symbols graced the two pages that were visible as he studied the book intently.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 3rd, 2003, 9:48am
Falin son of Doigan:

*Setting his ale down on the table in front of him he grimices as a wave of nausea rolls through him*

"Bah!  Blasted rats, ye'd think they be chewin on goblin-food as nasty as they're bites be.  When is that Priest suppose ta be showin up?"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Oct 3rd, 2003, 8:06pm

on 10/03/03 at 16:48:43, Greylorn wrote:
Falin son of Doigan:

*Setting his ale down on the table in front of him he grimices as a wave of nausea rolls through him*

"Bah! Blasted rats, ye'd think they be chewin on goblin-food as nasty as they're bites be. When is that Priest suppose ta be showin up?"


Aye, I'm not feeling so well myself. Perhaps I should have bought some leg armor, at least. Dirty creatures."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by grobbendonk on Oct 5th, 2003, 2:54pm
Silus:

Silus puts down his ale and frowns at the small dribble that slops out of his mug.

"I agree with Calek, that last rat we encountered wasn't a natural beast.  Something altered the sorry creature, and there's
a deeper tale to be unveiled there.  Maybe the council will be able to shed some light on the matter once they've studied the corpse."


Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 5th, 2003, 3:10pm
Falin son of Doigan:

*The dwarf shifts in his chair, uncomfortable, although he shows no other sign of illness or poison.  After Silus' comment he frowns a bit*

"Aye, that be a possibility, but I dinna like the thought of whate'er might ha caused that living beneath our feet."

*Leaning forward he speaks more sofly*

"And dinna forget that one o' the door we ha found be leadin here."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Kal on Oct 6th, 2003, 6:50am
Calek:

*Leans forward and speaks softly as well*

"Aye, and there is still a door we haven't opened yet."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 6th, 2003, 7:29am
Falin son of Doigan:

*The dwarf's typical scowl deepens a bit as Calek reminds him of that little detail.  After a moments reflection the dwarf shakes his head and leans back in his seat*

"Maybe the towns guards'll be solvin the problems down there, but I be thinkin that'll na be the case."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Oct 6th, 2003, 7:41am
As Tagnar listens to the rest of the conversations carry on, he slowly starts to drift off in thought. His face had shown obvious signs of life this last day, but now with the day winding down, it had returned to its once somber state. His body starts to lean a bit back in his chair and his eyes shut slowly until he has obviously passed out.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Oct 6th, 2003, 9:23am

on 10/06/03 at 13:50:02, Kal wrote:
Calek:

*Leans forward and speaks softly as well*

"Aye, and there is still a door we haven't opened yet."


*Isengrim grimaces but says nothing. He may be in pain. In any case he seems to be paying attention now.*

*As the waitress goes by again, he looks up at her and makes an innocent request.*

"Good lady, is thre any chance you have something I might put this in?" *He gestures to the pile of gold in front of him, and smiles.* "I'm afraid I've not even a sack to put it in."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Oct 6th, 2003, 6:51pm
ooc

100xp for forum RP to Calek, Falin, Isengrim, Michael, Silus, and Tagnar.

Also, my wife has a decision due and we have had to postpone our trip for next weekend; I should be able to host on 10/13 after all.  

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Oct 7th, 2003, 8:06am
Still a bit weary from your excursion to the monastery, you now have another task before you.  Moira brings you hot food and cold ale to refresh you before you depart, but her eyes keep returning to the windows, where the slivers of sunlight grow longer with the deepening of afternoon.

Shortly you will once more be out upon the road.  

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 7th, 2003, 8:51am
*Taking a bit of the meat pie brought by Moira, and a sip of ale, Falin sits back and looks to the others*

"I be thinkin it be time we talk about our battle strategy.  What we ha been doin ha worked for us, till now, but we be needin ta think about how we react.  Who be making the front line and who be supportin w' bow or spell."

"As fer meself, I can be throwin me axe an keepin me shied, and I do a fair job o wieldin me battle axe so I can stand as a front line fighter.  Besides, I'd be a poor priest o' the Father o Battle if I stood in back all the time.  What o the rest o ye?  What be yer thoughts?"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Oct 7th, 2003, 10:04am

on 10/07/03 at 15:51:00, Greylorn wrote:
*Taking a bit of the meat pie brought by Moira, and a sip of ale, Falin sits back and looks to the others*

"I be thinkin it be time we talk about our battle strategy. What we ha been doin ha worked for us, till now, but we be needin ta think about how we react. Who be making the front line and who be supportin w' bow or spell."

"As fer meself, I can be throwin me axe an keepin me shied, and I do a fair job o wieldin me battle axe so I can stand as a front line fighter. Besides, I'd be a poor priest o' the Father o Battle if I stood in back all the time. What o the rest o ye? What be yer thoughts?"


*Isengrim, normally one to wait for others to speak first, stands up almost immediately.*

"I have been brother to my bow since I was a youth, and I do not wish to set it aside when trouble meets us. I see now that there are finer bows than the one I myself have carved, yet even so I am probably of most use where I have room and time to aim.

"I will also say here - though I do not wish to sound boastful - that I have hunted since I could walk, and my eyes, ears, and nose are well-trained for sniffing out trouble. I am quite content to serve as scout when the situation warrants - I do not wish to be always hiding in the back while others risk themselves in the fore. It is unmanly in any case, and I would ask that you allow me the honor of the van as we travel. I will of course consult with you all before committing us to battle.

"Is this agreeable to all? If not I shall in no wise press my wishes upon you. You have all be quite generous in permitting me your company, and in providing aid to me when I have been in need. I wish rather to serve than to presume - and so I speak only to answer how I might best serve the company."

*He concludes on a note of confidence that has slowly risen throughout his speech. His voice and tone are, for a moment, almost unrecognizable to the group. But here Isengrim stops and suddenly blushes, aware that he has perhaps been too long of wind. His moment of eloquence having passed, he sits down, once again the uncertain youth.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 7th, 2003, 10:48am
Falin son of Doigan:

*Listens to Isengrim speak more words then he has ever spoken since he's known to young man, and nods when the youth sits*

"Ah, I be pleased ye be sharin yer thoughts, and yer skills, in the discussion.  On hearin what ye ha said, it sounds like ye be more use ta being in the wilds then in caverns an such, be this true?"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Oct 7th, 2003, 8:01pm

on 10/07/03 at 17:48:01, Greylorn wrote:
Falin son of Doigan:

*Listens to Isengrim speak more words then he has ever spoken since he's known to young man, and nods when the youth sits*

"Ah, I be pleased ye be sharin yer thoughts, and yer skills, in the discussion. On hearin what ye ha said, it sounds like ye be more use ta being in the wilds then in caverns an such, be this true?"


*Isengrim nods, still a bit self-conscious*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Oct 8th, 2003, 12:52pm
MIchael von Neitzel:

* Michael smiles upon hearing Falin's and Isengrim's comments, and sips his ale, the first time he has been seen to drink something other than water.*

"Well then Isengrim, it seems you could be our scout when we are in the wild, and perhaps Malius can share that duty with you when we are indoors or in populated areas.   As for myself, I think I have finally mastered some of these cantrips I have been studying.  I'd prefer trying to cast some spells to aid our group, and if need be use my bow.  That is best done a little ways back from any hand to hand combat."


Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 8th, 2003, 1:05pm
Falin son of Doigan:

*Nods with Michael's statement*

"That be soundin like the way it should be done.  Best ta be keepin ye spellcasters back where we can be doin that most damage."

*mutters into his beard*

"I just be hopin the damage be ta out opponents and na our backs."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Oct 8th, 2003, 2:06pm
Michael von Neitzel:

* Michael overhears Falin's comment as he takes another sip of ale, and smirks. *

"Don't you worry, Falin!  I promise you, my spells are more accurate than my arrows!"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Primarch on Oct 9th, 2003, 10:29pm
*Malius sits forward to speak*

Aye, the shadows are my friend and give me comfort. Scouting is not a chore for me.

As far as my role when combat comes, I have many talents. *Glances to the dagger he is playing with*
I shall be where I am needed most.

For now I am content to follow. So burden me not with leadership or the making of plans. Tell me what you need and make it happen I will if with in my talents and skills.

I know not any of thee truly, but a trust worthy group this seems to be and my lot I throw in.

*Malius Sinks back into his chair, his attention returned back to his toy.*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 13th, 2003, 7:01am
Falin son of Doigan:

*Looking around at the companions he ponders a moment then speaks*

"I be thinkin this be best then.  Tagnar and meself'll be in the frontline, w' Calek helpin out.  Michael an Isengrim can be usin their bows, an Malius can do *looks over to the elf* whate'er he can be doin."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Kal on Oct 13th, 2003, 11:14am
Calek:

"Aye, up front is where I'd prefer to be.  There I can use my spells and my spear to best effect.  Like Isengrim I grew up a hunter and my Druidic studies have only depened my understanding of the bests and the wilderness.  Because of this I am an able scout, though I often rely on spells for assistance.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Oct 13th, 2003, 4:53pm
You got it. My hammer would of most use up front. But be weary of the back side.

*takes a swig from his flask, wipes his lips and beard on his sleeve*

In all me travels, Ive discovered that some foul and sneaky beasts tend to 'void the front of combat. They would rather sneak up 'round and wait for you to pass by before hittin ya up backside the noggin.

*Glances to Malius*

Not to unlike our sneaky friend here.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Oct 13th, 2003, 6:28pm
100xp for forum participation to Calek, Falin, Isengrim, Malius, Michael, and Tagnar.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Oct 13th, 2003, 9:18pm
After your tussle with the ghouls, the companions follow Isengrim out of the crypt.  Calek uses his woodcraft to build a crude campsite in the ruined structure of one of the buildings, and you huddle around the flames of the small fire, all too aware of the eyes of the Northlander spirits watching you from the nearby darkness.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 14th, 2003, 6:47am
Falin son of Doigan:

"Bah!  When'll this blasted rain e'er stop.  Cor, it be times like this what make me miss me home.  No rain, snow, wind, clouds, sun...it be the same.  Steady and constant."

*Typical of the dwarf, he is sitting in a burial sight for the Northlanders, surrounded by restless spirits, and he is complaining about the weather*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Oct 14th, 2003, 9:07am
Michael von Neitzel:

* Michael turns to face Falin, gingerly holding his arm, where the undead's powerful blow had broken several bones earlier. Although his companions reacted quickly and healed him, the area from elbow to neck still pained him.*

"Could be worse, Falin. Instead of rain and fog, these spirits could be raining blows on us."

* Michael holds up the Northlander talisman again, studying it as the dancing fire reflects dully off of the worn surface.*

"Looks like this only works with some spirits. We'd best be careful when we re-enter the crypt."

* He looks over at Isengrim, sitting a bit apart from the others, away from the small fire.*

"Won't you reconsider, Isengrim? We can well use your courage, and your strong arm, when we venture back below."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 14th, 2003, 9:17am
Falin son of Doigan

*Grunts at Michael's response back*

"Aye, that'd be better then getting drenched.  Give me an opponent ta be facin w' me axe an I'll be happy ta be doin so.  But there be nothin I can do about these clouds."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Oct 14th, 2003, 10:33am
Wearily, Tagnar hangs his hammer on his shoulder strap, turns his back to one of the overgrown pillars and plops down with a grunt. He slowly scans the woods around, watching intensley for signs of the spirits' sudden decisions to attack.

"I be thinkin twice about comin to this place after all. These....things....are much more powerful than what we gots here in our sacks....aside from this trinket of a talisman it says it be. Whats to say it isnt going to work down there? B'sides, our boat outta here in't going to wait fer us after a day's time."

Tagnar shakes his head in disagreement of continuing.

"I'm beginin to think Isengrim has the right idea."


Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 14th, 2003, 11:20am
Falin son of Doigan:

*Looks over at Tagnar, somewhat of a bedraggled sight with water dripping from his dark hair and beared face*

"Keep yer beard braided lad!  Aye, these be challengin foes, and I ha little wish ta be facin the undead an restless spirits o this place, but we be needin wha they ha in order ta fight the foe back on the island."

"Victory na be easy or certain, but defeat be certain if we be na willin to do what we must.  That we be doin it the quicker so we can be leavin this foul place be better all around."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Kal on Oct 14th, 2003, 12:34pm

Quote:
"I'm beginin to think Isengrim has the right idea."


Calek:

"Oh, aye.  We can pack it in, head back to the boat and sail on our merry way.  But what then?  Back to Kinnis where a crazed druid is killing innocent farmers?  Ya want to fight his creations with foul language and rude gestures?  *chuckles* It'd be about as effective as our weapons."

"And what of the dead here?  I'm not of a mind to leave so many unnatural things wandering about!  I'm of a mind to destroy the vermin in this place.  What we've encountered so far hasn't been that hard, a few blows with a spear or an axe and these creatures die for good."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 14th, 2003, 1:30pm
Falin son of Doigan:

*Nods in agreement with Calek's statement*

"That be true.  If we be havin a chance to defeat this mad Druid, we'll be needin these weapons.  If we canna do this we'll be useless when the time comes, an that be helpin none."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Oct 14th, 2003, 8:44pm

on 10/14/03 at 16:07:49, chiz wrote:
Michael von Neitzel:

* He looks over at Isengrim, sitting a bit apart from the others, away from the small fire.*

"Won't you reconsider, Isengrim? We can well use your courage, and your strong arm, when we venture back below."


*Isengrim looks up at Michael, his long hair matted around his head and shoulders from the rain.*

"I will not rob the dead. Even were it only for the weapons, which perhaps can be justified, since they are to serve a noble cause. But you have stolen other things as well to enrich yourselves, and that makes us little more than common graverobbers."

*Isengrim starts to turn away, having said what he intended to say, but a moment later he turns back, unable to contain his emotion.*

"Do you think so little of the warriors here, that you would take from them that which is their due in the afterlife? I bear them no love for the wrong their people did my kin, yet I would not violate their rest now that they are dead. Every man who does evil pays for it in this life and the next, but that justice belongs to the gods and not to me; I will not disturb their rest.

"I feel the spirit of my father watching my actions, and I would not shame his honor or his memory by taking part in such an act. Now I have said too much already. Do what you must - I bear you no ill will - yet for my part I will wait here until you are done."

*With that Isengrim turns to stare out into the cold darkness.*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 15th, 2003, 7:23am
Falin son of Doigan:

*Listens to Isengrim and nods*

"Aye, I can be understandin yer feelins lad.  I be na eager ta be doin this, but if it be necessary ta be savin those on the island from this mad Druid then it need ta be done.  As fer the gold *here he frowns, eyes hardening a bit* I'll not be leavin anythin at that cursed altar.  Cor, but ye could all but feel that somethin were wrong with it.  Whate'er power might be behind it I'll not be leavin it any riches or offerins ta give it strength an power in this world.  That gold can be servin much better purposes then sitten as an offerin ta that thing."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by grobbendonk on Oct 15th, 2003, 11:26am
Through out the conversation at the campfire Silus was growing more and more agitated.  Finally unable to contain his excitement he interrupts the musings of the party

"A moral dilemma, how, how.... Intriguing.  Isengrim is that really how you feel, or is there something else stopping you from entering the tombs, maybe fear?  Falin, your reasons for taking the gold are very noble, but are you sure your not just camouflaging your true motive, greed?"

Silus reaches for his pack and pulls out his notebook, quill and ink, quickly finding a blank page with one hand whilst refilling his quill with the other.  Whilst preparing himself to record the answers to these questions, he mutters to himself.  The words are hard to pick up with the wind howling about, and it appears that Silus is unaware that he spoke them aloud.

"Story takes shape.... intriguing.... frailties....  conflict....   mortal...."

Silus' gaze retains an intensity not before observed by his companions.  His fervor is most disconcerting and his whole aura has been disturbed in the most unsettling way.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Primarch on Oct 15th, 2003, 6:51pm
*sits forward with a smirk*

Enought of this, our way is not clouded. If we wish to defeat the Druid, we must venture back in.

If we wish to conceed and let the Druid continue his ways then so be that.

As for "robbing" the dead, you can not rob what is dead. When they venture to where they go, all they take with them is there sins and that is what they are judged on.

Their material belogings were just tools to be used. Now with their passing, they are still tools to be used by another.

It is cold and wet, my mood sours with the weather. Let us decide and make way to that end.


ooc- sorry about last Monday. We have the higher ups from our parent company here all week and it has really strained my time. Fortunatly they leave Friday.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Oct 15th, 2003, 6:54pm
ooc

Just a reminder that we won't be playing on 10/27.  I encourage all of you to go ahead and join (or host) a NWCon game that day.

After the week off we will resume the campaign on 11/3.  Also, I am pretty far along on the next mod that will follow Moonshae.  I was going to run you guys through my third Crossroads mod but that one's getting pretty dated.

After that, there's the series that goes from Torgan's Delve through Drums of War, Paths of Shadow, and Redemption.  Each is good for 6-8 2-hour sessions.  In all, the series takes you to such pleasant places as the Underdark and the Abyss, and can see players become noble lords, heroes, or traitors.

So if the campaign does wind down at some point, it won't be from lack of material.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 16th, 2003, 6:40am
OOC

Now isn't that just typical.  That darn merchant pull poor Falin out of his nice comfortable home, sends him out on the sea of all places, then he ends up on a path that is going to lead him to the Underdark and the Abyss.  I just hope he found something worthwhile to trade! :)

I am in it for the long hall.  This is a fun group to be with, nice roleplaying and we are getting to work together fairly well, so count me in!

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Oct 16th, 2003, 10:24am

on 10/15/03 at 18:26:50, grobbendonk wrote:
Through out the conversation at the campfire Silus was growing more and more agitated. Finally unable to contain his excitement he interrupts the musings of the party

"A moral dilemma, how, how.... Intriguing. Isengrim is that really how you feel, or is there something else stopping you from entering the tombs, maybe fear? Falin, your reasons for taking the gold are very noble, but are you sure your not just camouflaging your true motive, greed?"


Why do you insult me, scribbler? I have entered the tomb already, and have the wounds to prove it. If you cannot see that I have spoken true, then you are a blind man. If you think me a liar then say as much and we will settle it like men.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Oct 16th, 2003, 10:34am

on 10/16/03 at 01:51:56, Primarch wrote:
*sits forward with a smirk*

As for "robbing" the dead, you can not rob what is dead. When they venture to where they go, all they take with them is there sins and that is what they are judged on.

Their material belogings were just tools to be used. Now with their passing, they are still tools to be used by another.

It is cold and wet, my mood sours with the weather. Let us decide and make way to that end.


*Isengrim merely snorts at that.*

"You speak as one without respect or wisdom. Is the gold we have taken truly needed to fight this wicked druid? As for the weapons, look into your heart and see if it is not the weapons themselves you lust after, and not the means they provide in fighting this druid.

"If I am wrong, then why not swear now that you will return the weapons when the druid is done, and leave the gold and other riches to the dead? Do this and I will be satisfied, and will rejoin you in the crypt. If you will not, then I will do as I have said and wait here for your return."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 16th, 2003, 3:44pm
Falin son of Doigan:

*When Isengrim speaks of the gold he looks towards the Ranger, scowling*

"Nay lad, the gold may not be necessary, but that does not mean that I will allow an altar deducted to that foulness ha it.  It be not enough ta be leavin such evil be, for it will eventually be seekin you out.  That I see an altar deducted to that foul power an act out again it be my choice, not yers.  Ye can sit an do nothin if that be yer choice, but dinna expect me ta also be standin idly by."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Primarch on Oct 16th, 2003, 6:10pm

Quote:
"You speak as one without respect or wisdom. Is the gold we have taken truly needed to fight this wicked druid? As for the weapons, look into your heart and see if it is not the weapons themselves you lust after, and not the means they provide in fighting this druid.


*Malius looks up at Isengrim, there is a brief flash of anger in his eyes.*

"Speak not of what you do not know! You know nothing of who I am nor what I stand for." *The words drip with venom*

"You are the one speaking without respect or wisdom. But wait, I am sorry. I forget you are one not shal we say city educated."

"But if vowing that when all is said and done, that I will return these items to this place, so be it."

"Here me now then, I swear that when all is said and done and the tools I choose if any are no longer needed, I will then place them in their proper place.

*Malius stands keeping his gaze locked on Isengrim*

"There, you have your vow, now you may justify your decision to journey on with the group."

*As Malius turns to walk to the edge of the building, he continues, "If ye have the stomache....."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Kal on Oct 16th, 2003, 7:00pm
Calek:

"Respect and wisdom, is it?  You've yet to show aught of that.  You dislike "robbing" the dead do you?  You will not be eating this evening then?  I'd hate to trouble your conscience by offering you any of this poor, dead rabbit I've got here.  Wouldn't want to inconvience something that's dead would we?  *snorts* For a man that grew up among nature you don't seem to understand life and death very well."

"You ask us to return these weapons when we are through with them?  I say no!  What use are they moldering in a crypt?  I, for one, will use them to defend my life, the lives of my companions, and the lives of my trees!"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 17th, 2003, 7:10am
Falin so of Doigan:

*Looks to Isengrim after the other responses*

"Ye might be thinkin why ye ha no wish ta be disturbin or takin from these crypts.  If it be that yer tryin ta be respectin those what ha died, be these ones worthy o that respect?

"The council ha said that these weapon were put here so that the spirits o this people can be raiden and ravaging the lands o the dead.  Where yer ancesters be.  Now, be that what ye are wantin?

"I'll na be takin from the grave o me kind, but those what only wish ta be causin trouble in the next world as well as this one...nay, I be havin no problem w' taken from them if it be givin me ancestors peace in the next world."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Miserere on Oct 18th, 2003, 4:17pm

on 10/17/03 at 14:10:37, Greylorn wrote:
Falin so of Doigan:

*Looks to Isengrim after the other responses*

"Ye might be thinkin why ye ha no wish ta be disturbin or takin from these crypts. If it be that yer tryin ta be respectin those what ha died, be these ones worthy o that respect?

"The council ha said that these weapon were put here so that the spirits o this people can be raiden and ravaging the lands o the dead. Where yer ancesters be. Now, be that what ye are wantin?

"I'll na be takin from the grave o me kind, but those what only wish ta be causin trouble in the next world as well as this one...nay, I be havin no problem w' taken from them if it be givin me ancestors peace in the next world."


*Isengrim listens to Falin with growing uncertainty. He is silent for several moments after Falin has finished.*

"I - I hear you, Falin. Your words bear consideration, and I must think on them."

*Isengrim huddles up, deep in thought, scarcely aware of his surroundings now as he wrestles with this dilemma.*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Oct 18th, 2003, 6:57pm
OOC-

Well it all happens to us at one point or another....

I had a pretty bad crash on Friday afternoon...it took me just til now (Saturday night) to be back to this point of posting. Not sure what happened. So I am going to try frantically to get NWN back up and running for monday night, but if I can't I may be out. I have a lot of drivers, udates and games and such to reload. *sigh* so Ill let you all know for sure by monday morning.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Oct 18th, 2003, 8:19pm
We will keep your place at the table, Tagnar, in the hopes that you will be able to join us.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Oct 19th, 2003, 9:58pm
Well...looks all good. For some reason my SoU disk thinks its not installed, but the game works. hehe. I will make it after all! See you all Monday night!

Tag-

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Oct 20th, 2003, 1:39pm
Michael von Neitzel:

* Michael listens to the argument getting more intense and frowns. Finally, he rises to speak: *

"Friends! Comrades! We have known one another but a short time, true. But in this time, we have fought together, shoulder to shoulder, back to back, for reasons of our own. Even though we disagree on this matter, let us not have our band sundered. For the goal we fight for.....defeating whatever power is behind these strangely altered animals.... is both noble, and, likely, profitable."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by grobbendonk on Oct 20th, 2003, 4:05pm
Silus  pushes his soaked hair from out of his eyes and blinks at the assembled group, before searching out Isengrim.

"Many fine words have been spoken, and if in your heart you cannot return to the crypt them so be it, for whatever is your reason.  I myself have no qualms about returning and claiming the prizes inside.  The dead have no need for their tools now, and we may put them to good use.  If you object so, then stay outside whilst we explore.  I may remind you that our hosts..."  Silus gestures to the spirits that are circling the campfire "may not be so forgiving of your presence once the charm is away from you.  In a way, for damned if your come with us or damned if you don't.  I suggest you accompany us and not take one gold piece.  Better your conscience in turmoil than your body ripped apart.  The dilemma is yours, but the solution, I feel, is clear."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 20th, 2003, 4:48pm
Falin son of Doigan:

"Aye, ye could be sitten here and sufferin the attention o' the spirits o' this isle, or ye could be returnin ta the ship and waitin fer us here.  Just be sure ye be doin it fer the right reason whate'er yer choice may be."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Oct 20th, 2003, 5:19pm
*Nods to Silus in agreement with the scribe*

"Be wise words ye speak."

*looks to Isengrim*

"This be a tough choice here in front of you, but as I see it, within the tomb might be safer than out here without the tailsman. I...agree with the scribe...we should enter the tomb.

*Stands back up with a push from his hammer and addresses the rest of the party*

"There be powers at work here beyond my knowledge. I fear we are tamperin with things mortals were not meant to touch. I have a bad feeling, but I not be one for standin around. I'll enter the tomb...but Ill have no argument when time to leave either."

*straps his hammer to his belt and pats it assuringly before uncorking his flask and finishing what little spirits remain within the metal container*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Oct 20th, 2003, 6:27pm
100xp to all for forum RP, and as we have had 100% participation this week, I will toss in an additional bonus of 50xp each (150 each total).

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Oct 20th, 2003, 9:11pm
OOC- great session all! That was the best by far (I think), great roleplay by all! To bad we've got to wait 2 weeks to continue! :( I look forward to it though!

Tag-

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Oct 29th, 2003, 4:04pm
*sticks head into quiet thread*

It is morning in Kinnisfrae.  The adventurers, having just returned from the haunted isle of Skirringskrae, have recovered weapons that they hope will avail them against the shadowed animals... and whoever or whatever is behind their rampage.  You have some leads, but hope that your meeting with the Council this morning will lead to more answers.

Over breakfast, you discuss how best to proceed.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 30th, 2003, 6:38am
*Falin enjoys a hearty plate as he looks around at his companions*

"I be thinkin that we'd best ta be findin out how he be makin them animals so...strange.  If we can be takin away his allies, that be the animals, we'd be weakinin this druid enough that we might be able ta take him on.  I be dreadin the thought of fighten both a druid capable o' makin this creatures, an the creatures as well."

Title: Planning Ahead
Post by Lazybones on Oct 30th, 2003, 1:25pm
ooc Annoucement

My wife and I will be taking our trip down the coast that we postponed from October over the holiday weekend of Nov. 8-10. No game that weekend (including our Monday slot). Sorry for the erratic schedule; I do my best to leave Mondays open for our campaign games but RL does tend to intrude frequently.

Legends of the Sword Coast, the sequel to Shades of Moonshae, is finished, pending some playtesting/bug fixing. I anticipate it going 6-8 sessions for our group. The module includes material from my publicly released mods "Tome of Secrets" and "Shrine of the Eth'barat"; please let me know if you have adventured in those modules.

I'll be out of the country over New Year so we'll probably take a 2-week hiatus around Christmas.

If any of you get tired of the campaign at any point, just let me know and I will arrange for a replacement. But I encourage all of you to continue; this group has come together nicely and there's a good party dynamic going on here.

LB

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Oct 30th, 2003, 1:42pm
OOC

I guess as long as we are looking forward...

there is a chance I will be out of touch for campaigning for the first couple weeks of December.  The Navy may be sending me down to Williamsburg for some schooling, but I have not heard anything definate on that yet.

In reply to your query on the two modules, I did participate in your playtesting of the Tome of Secrets module.

p of Falin

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Nov 2nd, 2003, 10:50am
OOC

December is kind of a difficult month to schedule around, I too may not be able to have a stable schedule during the last few weeks. But we can play it by ear. I will know more in the next 2 weeks.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by grobbendonk on Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:04pm
Silus:

"Falin, I agree, however how do you clear a forest of animals?  I fear it would be impossible, and thus we must prepare for the worst.  I have a feeling those birds we encountered on the way to the isle of the dead were no coincidence.  Either the druid is watching us, or a spy knew of our plans."

Silus lowers his voice and leans towards the center of the groups' circle

"I think we best be careful what we speak of now.  What do we know of the townsfolk around, or even of the council themselves?  What allies may the druid have?"


Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:18pm
*Ponders the suggestion with a frown*

"Cor, I dinna think that th' council be behind the druid.  Else why be directin us ta the island where we can be findin weapons?  Or porvidin us w' a talisman ta be usin agin' the evil spirits what dwell there?

"What ye be sayin o' the townsfolk be worth thinkin on.  I doubt that many would be supportin this druid or his plans, but some may ha some evil in their hearts that this one appeal ta."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by grobbendonk on Nov 3rd, 2003, 4:44pm
Silus thinks for a second, whilst finishing off the last morsel on his plate

"who knows the motivation of the council?  Maybe one of them was hoping we'd fail and add our bones to the pile we found there.  Who else knew we were going to the island?   I have no reason to distrust them or anyone else, but also I have no reason to trust them with my life. I just council caution, and guard your words carefully"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Nov 3rd, 2003, 5:16pm
Tagnar Un'gno

"Agreed. But I don't thinks the council behind the druid, but ye never know who in the town is. This be a strange place for the likes of travelers such as us, be careful to what ye speak of...or to whom."

*glances cautiously around the rest of the inn as he leans back in his chair*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Nov 3rd, 2003, 5:35pm
Falin son of Doigan:

*Ponders a moment then shakes his head*

"We be havin little choice.  We'll be needin ta trust the council ta ha' any hope o' savin the town.  I just be wishin that Clanggidan be grantin me the wisdom to know if the council be betrayin us."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Nov 3rd, 2003, 5:35pm
Michael von Neitzel:

*Michael finishes his meal, then leans forward and speaks as quietly as the others.*

"I wouldn't worry about the council betraying us, Falin. They didn't impress me as being likely to do so."

* Something suddenly seems to occur to Michael.*

"How about the gnome? The mage we met when first we came to this Inn? He seemed experienced; I wonder if he knows aught of these matters?"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Kal on Nov 3rd, 2003, 5:51pm
Calek:

"I also don't see the council being behind the druid.  What possible reason could they have for doing so?  What does killing their own citizens get them?"  

*ponders for a moment*

"Besides, I have trouble picturing a druid who seems so against habitation on this island working with *anyone*, let alone the council of the only town on the island."

*leans back and sips his ale*

"One thing to keep in mind though is that we've been taking everything the council has told us completely on faith.  We've only their word that there was, in fact, a druid on the island."


Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Primarch on Nov 3rd, 2003, 7:23pm
*Quietly laughs to himself*

Weaher or not the Druid works for them matters not. We are destined to walk the path we are on for now. when a fork comes along we may choose again. But for now we walk.

But a thought, the things you say for reasons that the councial and the druid are not working together, those are the things people who look to decieve try to foster.

One can only truly trust themselves, and even then, you must be wary.........

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Nov 3rd, 2003, 7:43pm
For forum RP participation, 100xp to Calek, Falin, Malius, Michael, Silus, and Tagnar.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Nov 3rd, 2003, 7:52pm
ooc:

Sounds good LB, I'm still in for a continuation as I'm having fun!  RL may intrude at some point and make me miss a session but so far so good.

I am pretty confident I played all or part of "Shrine" at some point via NWC, but quite honestly can't remember a thing about it right at the moment.  Since given the author I know the mod had to be memorable, I can only conclude age is making me lose my memory, or its the wine I've been drinking for the past couple of hours...

- chizbo / Michael

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:33pm
ACK! I just remembered...I have looked into the Shrine info and read stuff that a player wouldnt know. I was going to DM it a few weeks back. :( I can do a pretty good job at playing it off...but if you feel we need to figure something else out...let me know.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Nov 4th, 2003, 9:07am
RE the Shrine content in the next campaign: not necessarily a problem, I'm already devising an alternative for my Sunday group using some material from my "Pyramid" game.  I know some of you may have played that as well, but I'll mix it up sufficiently so that veterans should be engaged as well as newcomers.  If need be, I'll just ask you not to metagame (i.e. use out-of-game knowledge in the game).

IC

Having explored the caverns under the old abandoned keep, you find that you have more answers than questions.  Your rest in the cold, wet, caves did little to ease your weariness, and you don't like the idea of setting out in the depths of the night in any case, so you set up a more amenable camp in the ruins.  There is plenty of wood about, and soon you have a fire to beat back the chill of the night.

But the night is restless.  Shadows flit through the darkness at the edges of your perceptions, and the harsh cries of animals sound close... too close.  

And then you see the eyes.  Red points that reflect your firelight, hovering in the dark beyond the edges of your campsite.  For now, they seem content to watch you, malevolent, waiting.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Nov 4th, 2003, 11:31am
Falin son of Doigan:

*Holds onto the haft of his axe and looks out at the glowing red eyes watching the group*

"I be hopin that this plan o' our works.  Else I fear we'll be ha'in a difficult journey back ta the town."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Nov 5th, 2003, 11:24am
ooc FYI:

Just a heads-up note, that I have implemented a new base module that I will be using starting with our next campaign.  I've gotten tired of HCR, with its huge footprint and numerous bugs. The new base consists of the following components:

HABD (Hemophiliacs Always Bleed to Death, by OldManWhistler and Demetrious)
HABD is a fairly forgiving bleeding system that draws its name from the fact that you will ALWAYS bleed a bit before dying, even if knocked directly down to -10 hp, or if you fail your save against an instant-death spell.  Note that you will still have to be quick on your feet to save a dying comrade, as you can bleed to death in thirty seconds or less if seriously injured by an attack. All players are issued simple bandages that they can use to attempt a DC15 Heal check to stabilize a dying comrade.  Any standard healing (including the Lifesaver Salve pouches) will also automatically stabilize a dying comrade.

The use of Raise Dead magic will impart an experience penalty of one level loss.  Resurrection, while more expensive, has a much smaller penalty of 10% of one level.  

For more information and a complete readme, visit http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/scripts/data/1061531334485.shtml.

SBR (Supply-Based Rest, by OldManWhistler and Demetrious)
SBR replaces the old HCR time-based rest limitations.  Rest is now limited to "Restful Objects" like beds in inns, or to supply kits that are purchased in stores.  Supply kits are heavy and expensive, although a special version for rangers and druids (who can "live off the land" better) that is lighter and cheaper is available.  Supply kits are a fairly abstract concept and are supposed to represent food, blankets, tents, and other gear needed for survival in the wild.  To use a supply kit, just hit "R" twice.  If you have a kit, you will create a temporary campsite that can be used by everyone in the group to rest.  
More information about SBR can be found at http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/scripts/data/1055903555000.shtml

DMFI (DM-Friendly Initiative) Wand Package 0.4a2 for SoU
I've implemented the latest version of the DMFI package, updated for Shadows of Undrentide by Brin_Shadar.  This wand package contains additional emotes, and the DMFI Voice is now fully implemented (allowing you to activate emotes using the *emote* commands in the chat bar, if an NPC/animal companion/familiar is nearby).  Racial languages are also supported.  

Various spell and other minor script fixes/changes (details TBA)

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Nov 10th, 2003, 7:03am
Falin son of Doigan:

*As the night deepens, and the small camp is surrounded by the cries of animals coming from the surrounding darkness the dwarf looks to his friends*

"I dinna think that any o us'll be sleepin well this night, but we should try ta rest as best we can.  I'll be needing some time ta be regainin me spells, but I can take watch in a couple o hours."

*Having said this the dwarf makes preperations to lay down and rest as best he can with the wind and the crys*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Nov 14th, 2003, 11:40pm
Michael von Neitzel:

* Michael stared out into the darkness wearily.  The animals, or creatures of some sort, were still audible, just beyond view.  Occasionally a yellow or red eye would reflect the gleam of the fire.  Michael nodded his head.  Something was out there all right, waiting for them.  Soon he'd wake up Falin to take the watch, and catch some sleep himself.

Looking up at the stars, Michael shook his head.  He had certainly found some adventure, but it was hard to say that the profit had been great so far.  He longed for a plush, soft bed, as he had at home.  Grimacing, he reminded himself that the world was as it was and not as he wished it, and there was no going home for him.  He leaned to whisper to Falin, so as to wake him up, but careful not to touch him.  Falin slept lightly, weapon in hand.*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Nov 15th, 2003, 2:35am
*At Michael's whisper Falin's eyes open wide and he sits up quickly, weapon in hand, looking around for any signs of danger.  Still a bit sleepy, and somewhat confused by the uneasy dreams he had been having while he slept he yawns deeply and shakes his head*

"Bah, I take it be me turn ta be takin the watch?"  

*He speaks softly, partially so that he will not disturb whatever uneasy rest his companions might be finding, and partially so that he doesn't alarm whatever might be outside the circle of light provided by their small fire*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Nov 15th, 2003, 9:26pm
Michael von Neitzel:

* Michael looks at Falin in the dark, grinning wolfishly.  He speaks softly as well: *

"Aye, dwarf, it be your turn.  And be careful, as something or some things are out there, red eyes and all, watching us.  Wake us if they get closer, or if you see aught to threaten us."

* With that Michael steps softly to where he laid out a couple of blankets earlier, wraps them around himself, and lies down. *

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Nov 16th, 2003, 8:53pm
Falin son of Doigan:

*Looks out into the darkness, not comforted by Michael's words*

"Sleep well lad."


Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Nov 17th, 2003, 8:07am
Tagnar had agreed to the next watch after Falin. Obviously he has slept heavily thus far...be it he was tired or perhaps the booze eased his body, whichever it was, he slept deep. His breath was heavy, but he didn't snore. As Falin and Michael stir softly to switch watch, Tagnar turns in his sleep abruptly, and with one hand swings his hammer swiftly. The hammer slams the ground with a thud, mere inches from Silus. He mutters out a broken sentance uninteligeble aside from "foul worthless creatures". His grip on his hammer loosens, and he relaxes again.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Nov 17th, 2003, 8:16am
Falin son of Doigan

*Startled by Tagnar's action he looks around, tensed for battle before relaxing, he mutters in his native tongue*

"Cor, Clanngidan, this servant o your be needin a bit o' courage agin this foe."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by grobbendonk on Nov 17th, 2003, 3:58pm
Silus wakes with a start from his heavy slumber.  Seeing the hammer so close to his head, he instinctively flinches away from the weapon and stands quickly, almost in a belated effort to avoid the blow.

"Tagnar awake before you have my head off!" he hisses as he pokes his boot into the dwarves side

Silus looks around the camp listening to the echoing of the unknown animal cries.  An involuntary shiver traverses his spine as he pulls his cloak around him to ward off the cold.

"I've a bad feeling of this, we may pay for our actions earlier.  Malevolent forces surround us and will not let us leave here alive. I feel it in my bones"  He mutters to anybody caring to listen.  He lies back onto his bedroll, trying to get some more sleep, but the feeling in his stomach will allow him no more sleep tonight.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Primarch on Nov 17th, 2003, 6:50pm
Needing only 4 hours of rest, Malius lays awake but eyes closed. Recalling the events as they have unfolded, he wonders how well this "new start" is working out.

A loud thump takes him out of his thoughts.

Looking over he notices that this group almost became one member short.

Not needing nor wanting to go back to sleep, Malius looks out into the night and helps keep watch.

Looking intently for that which could kill them all. Not with Blade, not with claw or fang.

No, he looks out to try to find fear. Fear is what can kill them all. Fear brings doubt and hesitation. That leads to mistakes which brings about death.

Fear we must not let over come us or cloud our judgment. Fear is a tool, a tool to be use to focus our strengths to over come what we must do.

This we must learn to survive.........

As Malius looks out into the darkness a feeling over comes him.......

*To himself*
Hmmm, I think class is about to start..............

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Nov 17th, 2003, 7:54pm
100xp forum participation award to Falin, Malius, Michael, Silus, and Tagnar.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Nov 17th, 2003, 10:01pm
Great session, all.  I'll get the final game of the campaign up tomorrow.

More info including links about HABD and SBR is posted higher up on this page (see Nov 5 post).  I will provide a download link with the first session scheduled of the new campaign ("Legends of the Sword Coast").

You guys get the benefit of the Sunday group, they're doing this mod first and finding all the bugs. ;)

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by chiz on Nov 24th, 2003, 5:41pm
* Michael von Neitzel *

Michael grinned at his comrades. "I can't believe we survived that." He half-laughed, half-snorted. "Though I suppose the hardest test lies ahead. Well," he looks at the two dwarves, "I am counting on your hard heads to clear the way. And who knows, with greater risk, if we are successful we may find greater rewards....perhaps even an enchanted item or two of great power."  Michael grins again.  "Do well by doing good - there's my motto!"

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Primarch on Nov 24th, 2003, 6:03pm
Aye, I owe that Druid. I am looking forward to finding him.

I have a gift for him.

*Malius's eyes drift to the dagger he is playing with and a smile creeps across his face as if laughing at a joke only he knows.....*

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Tagnar on Nov 24th, 2003, 6:05pm
"I'd say survived be the right choice of words friend. Be alert an be ready, he be expctin us now...."

Tagnar cautiously looks around while strangling the hilt of Gur'ush Narthor as if to squeeze out every bit of energy stored within.

Under his breath he mutters "Bring it on".

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Nov 24th, 2003, 7:49pm
Forum xp for Michael, Malius, and Tagnar.

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Greylorn on Nov 25th, 2003, 6:54am
Falin son of Doigan:

*Waking up the next day, after a day of shopping in preperation for the next journey, and an evening of celebration with his comrades, he packs his belongings.  With a sigh he looks out of the window of his room to the town, and the rolling sea beyond.*

"Ah, Clanngidan, it be a hard road ye lay before yer servant, and I cinna but wonder what we might be facin after the troubles we ha w' that damned Druid."

*With a shake of his head he dismisses the thoughts and doubts about the journey and turns to go downstairs to meet with his companions.  All of his questions about the missing merchant from the stronghold had met with negative responses.  It would seem that his best option was to let fate guide him and perhaps, just perhaps, he would find the object that started him on this journey from his home."

Title: Re: Shades of Moonshae Mondays Thread
Post by Lazybones on Nov 25th, 2003, 9:41am
Great campaign, all.  It's amazing how much of a difference good teamwork can make; I've had several groups of higher level but less cohesiveness get their clocks cleaned against the druid and his minions.

I will be opening a new thread for the next campaign shortly; the first session is already up at the NWC main site.

For RP purposes, you will be remaining on Kinnis for several months after the conclusion of the events in "Shades of Moonshae."  Feel free to RP out your character development during that time in the new thread.  I may give extra bonuses for particularly creative entries that advance your character's story.



NeverwinterConnections » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.